And on the second day of Christmas,
my true love gave to me,
two cookie recipeeeeeesssss!
Both courtesy of Martha Stewart, of course!
Better than a GirlScout Thin Mint:
- 1 cup all-purpose four
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 TBS unsalted butter (room temp.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (I like using the mini chips for melting ease)
- 1/4 tsp pure peppermint extract (a little bit goes a long way–trust me)
- sprinkles (optional for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add egg and vanilla. Mixing on low, add in flour mixture. Form balls of dough (about 1 tsp) and place on baking sheets. Take a glass, dip the bottom in flour, and press the balls into 1.5-inch rounds (about 1/4 inch thick).
- Bake until slightly firm, 8 – 10 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Make the chocolate coating: Place chocolate and peppermint extract in a large heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 – 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Martha then says: “Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Set each cookie across the tines of a fork, dunk in chocolate and tap the underside of the fork on the side of the bowl to remove excess. (This isn’t as clean of a process as you’d think it might be, so don’t be concerned if your fork stays covered in chocolate. Get as much off as possible, then slide the cookie to the pan). Decorate with sprinkles if desired and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator.” I instead just dunked the top of the cookie in the melted chocolate and used a knife to spread. Then i red and white sprinkled…
Jam Filled Cream Cheese Cookies:
8 ounces bar cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 large egg yolk
1 1/2 cups jam, jelly or preserves
1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, add flour and salt; beat until combined (do not overmix).
2. Divide dough into 3 portions; flatten each into a disk. Roll each disk to 1/8-inch thickness between sheets of parchment paper — but sprinkle some flour on the parchment before you start rolling to avoid your dough sticking. Stack dough (still in parchment) on a baking sheet; refrigerate 20 minutes. (To store, wrap in plastic and freeze on sheet, up to 2 weeks. Thaw until pliable before using.)
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F., with racks in upper and lower thirds. Mix egg yolk with 1/2 tsp. water. Working with 1 dough sheet at a time, peel off parchment (save for baking). With a 2-inch star cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Spoon 1/2 tsp. of jam into the center of each and brush exposed dough with egg wash. Shape cookies by folding point of the star into the center (see notes below); arrange, 2 inches apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets and refrigerate 20 minutes (re-roll scraps).
4. Bake until cookies are light golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool completely on wire racks. (To store, cover and keep at room temperature, up to 4 days.)