How about Rice Dish?
I remember a version of this when i was younger, but changed it a bit over the years. It was a common occurance back in the college days.
But, has not been made since I was in college. So, on Sunday, when B said, “can you make me rice dish for dinner?” I realized how much I had missed it!
Why is it great you say?
1. Its the perfect mix of cheese and carb and veggie and meat.
2. It can be eaten with any mexican topping you have laying around (salsa, sour cream).
3. Its a great way to get rid of a small amount of veggie you have left from something else that week. Only one sixteenth of a pepper? Throw it in.
4. Avocado. I don’t need to say anything more about that!
So here you go:
1. Put 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups of canned crushed tomatos in a pot to boil.
2. In a separate skillet, heat up a bit of olive oil. When hot add in some chopped onions and garlic.
3. Let the onions cook until almost translucent and then add your meat and salt and pepper. One large chicken breast or three sausages (or both if you wanna be crazy). stir.
4. When water/tomato is boiling add 3 cups of the minute rice. Turn off heat and cover.
5. Back in the skillet, add all your chopped veggies. Stir everything.
6. After 5 minutes, the rice should be cooked. A small amount of liquid should be in that pot. Add the meat and veggies and stir.
7. Transfer all this to a small casserole dish. Cover with grated cheese (s) and put in the oven to broil until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
8. Serve with: cilantro, sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, avocado, guacamole, etc. YUM!
Our meal in pictures: